[rules-users] Resource Change Scanner Service modified date error

Esteban Aliverti esteban.aliverti at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 05:08:30 EST 2012

As Dean says, getting the modification time of an in-memory resource is
impossible (actually you need to create an external mechanism to keep track
of it). So I would suggest to change the thrown Exception to something more
meaningful and to explicitly document which resources are capable to be
scanned for changes.
Right now, the Resources capable to being scanned are:

   - ClasspathResource
   - UrlResource
   - FileSystemResource
   - EncodedResource (depending on the implementation of Resource it is
   using)

@Wolfgang, for non in-memory Resources like files or url resources you can
get the last modified time. This is used by the scanner to check if a
particular resource has been modified since the last time it was scanned.
As Dean mentioned, this is not feasible when the resource is an in-memory
resource like a ByteArrayResource.

Best Regards,

Esteban Aliverti
- Developer @ http://www.plugtree.com impossible  <http://www.plugtree.com>