[rules-users] Using Drools Planner for dynamic service composition

ge0ffrey ge0ffrey.spam at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 03:59:11 EST 2012

johan.kumps wrote

> Hi,
>
> Could you point me to a document providing some more information on this.
> Using the Drools Planner documentation alone I'm not able to find a design
> for my problem.
>
> Kind regards,

This problem, "the most optimal service composition achieving a certain
consumer goal" probably falls into the category of problems called "assembly
line optimization". An example of assembly line optimization is in a
furniture factory: manufacture a number of chairs and tables and order the
usage of the machines (sequentially and in parallel) as optimal as possible.

There is no public canonical example of "assembly line optimization" yet,
but Drools Planner has been successfully used for it already, for example by
ualtin (irc). The trick is to create/remove machine assignments in Move's
(something the other examples don't do). You can reuse the local search
algorithms, such as Tabu Search, but the construction heuristics might be a
problem, in which case you 'll need to write a custom SolutionInitializer
like in some examples (until the construction heuristics become more
flexible).