[rules-users] How to retract events that don't match any rules (without @expires())

Ladd ladd at codemettle.com
Wed Jul 18 18:19:29 EDT 2012

Davide Sottara wrote

> If your rules are dynamic, would you still want to retract a fact not
> matching any of your current rules,
> knowing that a new rule might appear later, which would be activated by
> that fact?

That's a good question.  Smaller memory footprint by retracting.  But we
lose the immediate activation of future rules.  Maybe I'll make it an option
and let somebody else decide.  ;)

Davide Sottara wrote

> For now I would suggest this: whenever you insert an object, you will get
> back a FactHandle.
>  Cast it to org.drools.common.InternalFactHandle and look at
> getFirstLeftTuple() and getFirstRightTuple().
>  I haven't checked it completely, but I would say that if the fact does
> not participate in any tuple, it
>  might be worthy retracting.

That's great info!!  Worked like a charm.

Once again, thanks guys!  You've been extremely helpful.

- Ladd