[rules-users] Persistence in fireUntilHalt() loop

Alberto R. Galdo argaldo at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 13:23:17 EDT 2012

I'm afraid this bug is not resolved and doesn't have nothing to do with
lazy evaluation.

We've been able to get to the source of the problem and this are the facts:

   - Drools and JBPM have different persistence managers.
   - Drools uses JTA for persistence and JBPM does not.
   - When any JPA enabled object is persisted in Drools, a transaction
begins, it's EntityManager ( Hibernate ) joins the transaction and the
entity gets persisted.
   - When any JPA enabled object ( in this case a ProcessInstanceInfo ) is
persisted in JBPM, there are no transactions involved, and so the
EntityManager ( Hibernate ) decides to delay the insert ( queuing it as
there's no transaction in progress ). Then the processId never gets updated
and the NPE arises.

The problem here seems to be that both Drools and JBPM manage persistence
in different and incompatible ways. We've been able to modify
jbpm-persistence-jpa to open a JTA transaction before persisting
ProcessInstanceInfo, getting the EntityManager joining that transaction and
using the current Bitronix implementation already running in Drools ( to
assist persistence for their objects ) .. like so:

    public void setKnowledgeRuntime(InternalKnowledgeRuntime kruntime) {
        this.kruntime = kruntime;
        Environment env = kruntime.getEnvironment();
        Object tm = env.get( EnvironmentName.TRANSACTION_MANAGER );
        if (!(tm instanceof javax.transaction.TransactionManager)) {
            try {
            //     get Bitronix instance inside ...
                java.lang.reflect.Field field =
tm.getClass().getDeclaredField("tm");
                // who says private in Java is really private ... xD
                field.setAccessible(true);
                tm = field.get(tm);
            } catch (Exception e){
                e.printStackTrace();
            }
        }
        this.txm = new JtaTransactionManager( env.get(
EnvironmentName.TRANSACTION ), env.get(
EnvironmentName.TRANSACTION_SYNCHRONIZATION_REGISTRY ), tm );
    }

    public void addProcessInstance(ProcessInstance processInstance) {
        ProcessInstanceInfo processInstanceInfo = new ProcessInstanceInfo(
processInstance, this.kruntime.getEnvironment() );
        ProcessPersistenceContext context =
((ProcessPersistenceContextManager) this.kruntime.getEnvironment().get(
EnvironmentName.PERSISTENCE_CONTEXT_MANAGER
)).getProcessPersistenceContext();
        this.txm.begin();
        context.persist( processInstanceInfo );
        this.txm.commit();

I think we can agree that the previous lines of code are not the most
elegant solution  ( at least not for me ).

So, Is there any timeline for merging DROOLS and JBPM 5 persistence
managers?

If someone gives me advice and architectural hints ( and if it is doable in
a reasonable ammount of time ) I would be eager to submit a patch for this

Alberto R. Galdo
argaldo at gmail.com