[rules-users] Is there a faster way of doing this in Drools ?

soumya_sd soumya_sd at yahoo.com
Wed May 9 15:29:44 EDT 2012

Vincent Legendre wrote

>> ... OR load everything into a WM and then apply these "dynamic" rules.
>
> Beware, I am not sure whether we can add/remove rules in an existing
> session (I don't think so but I may be wrong).
> Basically, a WM is built from a kBase, not the inverse ...
> So you will have to recompile rules, that re-add all data in the WM ...
> really not a good idea then ...
>
> But, if you have your own GUI to set the filters, you should have some
> masks to speficify your filtering values, or at least some objects to
> store the filters/user's choices to display them in some screens, right ?
>
> In that case, you can add these objects directly in the WM, and write
> generic rules that use these objects to filter the raw data (as 2 or 3
> 'deamon' session, add all raw data once, and then only insert/retract
> filtering objects, with the results updated dynamically too. And if you
> can only work on differences (ie a result entering or getting out the
> global result list by invoking a gui callback), it can even be faster than
> a DB ... because RETE is good to propagate small diffs over a large amount
> of data and deduce related diffs on the outcome (this is drools-planner
> raw idea too).

thanks again everyone ! I think I've enough information at this point to do
some more prototypes to actually get a better idea of all the important
things people have shared in this post.

I'm sure I'll have more "implementation" or "drools" specific questions once
I start exploring a little more.

Thanks.