[rules-users] Deploy Drools in AS7 as OSGi bundles

Mark Proctor mproctor at codehaus.org
Tue Oct 2 03:00:07 EDT 2012

On 2 Oct 2012, at 07:29, Ioannis Canellos <iocanel at gmail.com> wrote:

> Our OSGi stuff is best effort - working on OSGi was like sticking needles directly into the back of my eyeball, not fun. tbh I find OSGi a real PITA. Too many of our dependencies do not have real OSGi bundles available, so we have to resort to the spring repository - where the versions almost never match our original target version. Further when it fails it's almost freaking impossible to determine why it fails.
>
> The problem with the spring enterprise bundle repository, is that spring source is no longer actively interested in OSGi (ever since they donated spring-dm to the eclipse foundation) and a lot of the bundles they provide are either out of date, or just say not optimal. A much shorter repository but with better maintained bundles is the repository of service-mix bundles: http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/servicemix/bundles/ which host bundles for service-mix, camel etc.
>
> Of course, bundles and metadata are always one side of the problem. Usually, the use of class loaders requires some treatment too.
>
> I'd like to contribute too, in providing a better OSGi support and maybe add some integration tests using pax-exam or arquillian.
Please feel free to submit a pull request that moves us to maintained OSGi bundles.

There is an outstanding OSGi pull request for Camel. However I cannot accept the submission until it comes with a unit test. Anyone want to finish that off? Here is the JIRA, pull requests are linked from the JIRA.
https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBRULES-3389

Here is a sample OSGi unit test:
https://github.com/droolsjbpm/droolsjbpm-build-distribution/blob/master/drools-osgi-bundles/org.drools.osgi.test/src/test/java/org/drools/osgi/integrationtests/SimpleOsgiTest.java

The unit test doesn't need to do much, just show we can build an end point and drive data through it.

Mark