[rules-users] Scheduling Application and Optaplanner

Geoffrey De Smet ge0ffrey.spam at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 03:07:14 EDT 2013

On 31-07-13 16:36, marchias wrote:
> Just started researching OptaPlanner. Loaded examples in Eclipse and got them
> running. I'm interested in extending the Nurse rostering example to work
> with a scheduling application I have written. I have some interesting
> constraints though that wanted to reach out to the community with to make
> sure they can be accomodated.
All of your constraints should be able to be accommodated:
it doesn't matter if they are linear, convex or not, etc.

Unless you working with exotic things like Bayes logic or Pareto
optimization,
but we're working on supporting Bayes and Pareto better in OptaPlanner.
> My scheduling app has a hierachical entity
> setup with Organizations and child locations. An employee can be configured
> to work at multiple locations and are also assigned a "Primary" location
> which means they should be picked up on shifts at that location before an
> employee that does not have that location as primary.
Just add a negative constraint for the number of employees that don't
work at their primary location.
If you want it to be "fair" between employees, count it per employee and
square it.
Depending on your business requirements, you might want to add it as a
medium constraint (instead of a hard one or soft one). See
HardMediumSoftScore in docs.
>   Also I have a priority
> group or ranking (1-10) which would be considered in sorting employees as
> well.
Not sure what you mean. But instead of trying to specify how to optimize
("sorting employees"),
specify what to optimize ("prioritize employees based on ranking").