[rules-users] Rule set execution performance and memory consumption issues

Joe Ammann joe at pyx.ch
Mon Aug 5 02:01:24 EDT 2013

On 08/05/2013 06:29 AM, Wolfgang Laun wrote:
> Guete Morge Joe,
:-) Guete Morge Wolfgang

> from that other thread I can recall that you are using "from
> <expression>", which (not knowing the rest) would be high up on my
> suspect list.
That's one thing I already learnt :-) I'm not using any "from" clauses
in my rule sets which are used against the "big" fact sets.

That other rule set from the other thread was used in a different
context, where the number of facts is much smaller (in the hundreds).

> And, in order to learn more, some monitoring should be considered. The
> number of activation creations and deletions (not by firing) can
> indicate wasted work that might be avoided.
I tried to implement something like that, but must admit that I don't
yet understand how I would do such a monitoring?! All I currently have
are custom AgendaEventListener and WorkingMemoryEventListener. I would
suspect that to implement such a monitoring, I would use

    void activationCreated(ActivationCreatedEvent event);
    void activationCancelled(ActivationCancelledEvent event);

of the AgendaEventListener. Could you point me to some documentation
that explains when exactly those events are triggered? Until now, I
haven't found too much doc on these aspects of Drools :-/

--
CU, Joe