[rules-users] Mapping complex objects info Guvnor compatible shim classes?

Stephen Masters stephen.masters at me.com
Sun Aug 11 17:30:55 EDT 2013

Embedding Guvnor just means that you hide the top-level interface, and embed the guided editor into your web app. So if you're not fond of the guided editor, then embedding doesn't solve the problem.

How far did you get into DSLs? When used within the guided editor, you get a list of DSL phrases to choose from, and having picked one, users can just drop values into the slots you make available in the templates, and you can provide enums to populate drop-down lists. It's fairly close to what you're after.

Generally with Guvnor, you do need a team of users who are pretty open to the rather over-technical guided editor UI that it offers, with all its Java-influenced package structures. The competition such as FICO Blaze and IBM/ILOG JRules do a better job here, *if* you're prepared to spend the money and spend the time learning your way around their IDEs for designing templates.

If you're up for spending the time on it, you can build your own UI to generate DRL, and use the Guvnor REST interface to upload the rules. That way, you can potentially get whatever UI you like, but it's a lot of work.

Depending on your taste for adventure, another option would be to check out the version 6 betas. The new workbench supposedly provides much more in the way of customisation options. Check out Mark Proctor's presentation here, for some of what it offers:
	http://docs.jboss.org/drools/blog/LondonJBUG2013rulesmarkp/assets/fallback/index.html

Steve