[rules-users] Duplicating template capability in decision table?

dunnlow dunnlow at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 13 15:53:08 EDT 2013

My long lived templates have stopped working (I click the Load Template Data
button and nothing happens) -- I have seen this issue in Jira spanning
several versions (with associated "fixes").  Oh well.

Anyway, I've decided to re-implement using a decision table, which I heard
can duplicate the same functionality.  I'm close but can't get past one
issue.

I'm using Drools 5.5, and building the decision table in guvnor.

I am trying (as an Action) to create a new object, assign some of its
variable using a few different columns in the table, and then insert it.
There are at least 5 values that I want to assign, so I don't want to cram
something like "1,123.31,TRUE,2,BROWN" in a single cell -- I want each of
those fields to have their own cell with a header.

The resulting code should look like:

TravelEvent $te = new TravelEvent();
$te.setStartTag({value from "start" column});
$te.setEngTag({value from "end" column});
$te.setOneWay({value from "oneway" column});
.
.
insert($ne);

I've tried putting it all into an action BRL that looks like:

THEN
   Insert TravelEvent [$te]:
       startTag  $start
       endTag    $end

That creates a column for those values, but no headings.  Thus it is only
somewhat better than a comma separated list.

Has anyone tackled this issue before?

Thanks for any thoughts,
-J