[rules-users] Drools 5.5 + JavaEE on ARM: a simple benchmark. How to proper benchmark Drools 6 ?

Matteo Mortari matteo.mortari at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 04:33:12 EDT 2013

Hey Ciao, I want to share my findings while experimenting with Drools
5.5.0.Final and JavaEE 6 on an ARM (embedded) platform: Raspberry Pi and
Odroid-U2; and their performances.

I'm going to provide a link below with more details, but to avoid this post
being flagged as "shameless plug" :P I make a small summary right here.

I've readapted the waltz benchmark as a JavaEE application / webservice.
I'm aware on the debate concerning Expert systems benchmarks, but in this
case will be used for a relative comparison of performances. I load-tested
the webservice on the Raspberry Pi and the Odroid-U2, comparing the
response time to a baseline computer with a 1.8 GHz Intel Core i7. The
baseline responds in 132ms. The Raspberry Pi responds in 17219ms (~130x
slower) showing it's suffering a lot in this case and possibly is not
really a fair use case scenario for the Raspberry Pi, given the intensive
computation Vs limits of the JVM on this platform. The Odroid-U2 responds
in 566ms (~4x slower) which is a very impressive figures if you consider
its specs and cheap cost.

Conclusion I take, in my perspective, there is plenty of potential in using
JavaEE on these inexpensive ARM platforms, and I'm looking forward to hear
how would be a proper way to benchmark / performance-test of upcoming
Drools 6. The reason I'm asking, is because of the following statement on
the announcement of Drools 6 on blog.athico.com: "The algorithm addresses
the greedy and wasteful nature of Rete. This will make it suitable for more
constrained environments, such as mobile devices" - which I do believe is a
very similar scenario to the one I've presented above. I'll be happy to
clock its performance on the ARM platforms I own, but in this case I prefer
be guided what would be a sensible benchmark to highlight the gain given by
the new algorithm.

Besides, I hope I provided with this post an informative report to this
community :)
Ciao
MM
see also link: