[rules-users] So can you automatically upload a POJO JAR Model or not?

Nicolas Héron nicolas.heron.java at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 12:14:32 EDT 2013

Hi,
Yes it is possible to upload a pojo jar over rest. There were commits in
the 5.5.x branch  so you have to compile it yourself.
Contact me in direct if you need more info : nicolas dot heron at pymma dot
com
Cheers
Nicolas

2013/8/16 Mark Bennett [via Drools] <ml-node+s46999n4025580h13 at n3.nabble.com

> Hi guys,
>
> I'm using 5.5, and I've looked around and around on Google, and although
> I've seen a few claims that this might work, so far I haven't had any luck.
>  I'm getting various errors, 404 no such page, also "service not
> available".
>
> I do pass in the authentication header.  I'm also making sure to generate
> Java 1.6 classes, and the UI accepts the JAR without complaint and exposes
> it in the UI.
>
> I saw one post claiming to upload as an asset, but there was some code
> change required to Drools/Guvnor to get it to treat it as a model, so
> that's not an option.
>

> Let me try a few simple questions that might narrow this down:
>
> * Would you expect to use the REST API or the Webdav API to upload?
>
> * What would the URL look like?  (I've tried a bunch, looks simple enough
> online, and I'm able to download the DRLs)
>
> * I downloaded the combo pack of JBoss and Drools/Guvnor 5.5.  Is there
> maybe some config change needed to enable the additional REST or Webdav
> URLs?
>
> * When you submit a JAR interactively, I know GWT is involved, but does it
> hand over the request to either the REST or Webdav API?  OR does it have
> some other special entrance into the system, some third way in?  And if so,
> could I use that?
>
> * Would I use a POST or a PUT?  The theory seems to be use POST if it's
> new, or PUT if it's an update, but neither has worked.
>
> * What mime type would you use?  The 3 ideas were octet-stream, multipart
> or java jar (not the exact syntax)
>
> * Would I shove just the bytes of the jar file, or do I need multipart and
> also include some type of XML file as well?
>
> * Is it OK to just write the raw bytes of the jar, or do I need to encode
> them?
>
> * Assuming I could upload a JAR, would I then also need to issue some type
> of "commit", the way the UI does?
>
> * Do you agree that this should be possible to test with curl?  (to
> eliminate Java coding and library differences as the problem)
>
> * Instead of a JAR, is there some other fact model / syntax that I can
> automatically generate and upload?  I get the impression there is, but
> neither the doc nor the 3 books seem very specific, I haven't seen a full
> example of this.
>
> * Generally, for dynamic models driven by external systems, what is the
> "Best Practice" for telling the Guvnor UI about the model?  Maybe I'm going
> about this all wrong?
>
> * Does Drools 6 and the new Guvnor replacement suddenly make this much
> easier?
>

> I've been looking around and experimenting for about a week now so I'm
> running out of ideas.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark
>
> --
> [...]