[rules-users] drools engine freezes when idle

Evan Cutler arcee123 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 13:30:10 EDT 2013

HI, thank you very much.

In order, we perform a series of processes
1. A webservice receives an input xml document.
2. The webservice places the document in memory.
3. The webservice engages drools
4. drools loads the rules
5. drools loads reference data
6. drools executes the rules against the incoming document using the
reference data as a lookup
7. drools derives the output
8. the webservice returns the output to the calling source

Normally this works great.
but, we found out that if drools is not being used for more than several
hours,
it will do one of two things:
1. hang for 10-15 minutes during steps 4 and 5 and execute on it's own, in
spite that teh webservice has timed out.
2. lockout in a java exception.

Once this happens, the following webservice calls work normally.

What can I do to find out what's happening and how to repair it?

Thanks.

On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 12:29 PM, Mauricio Salatino <salaboy at gmail.com>wrote:

> Can you please elaborate a little bit about what is going one?
> What do you mean with freeze? the web app is dead? does it shows something
> in the logs?
>

> On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 2:18 PM, arcee123 <arcee123 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I am a new drools developer.  This is my first installation.
>> I have followed the instructions for installation, and was able to bring
>> up
>> Govnor and my my repositories.
>>
>> It appears to work great.
>>
>> The problem is that if the service sits idle, meaning no requests of the
>> Govnor repository, the resources on the machine tie up, and the service
>> freezes.
>>
>> I am attempting to find the culprit, but I was hoping that someone here
>> might have seen this before, and is able to help me on the start point to
>> figuring out what's wrong.
>>
>> Thank you.
>>

>> --

>  - MyJourney @ http://salaboy.com <http://salaboy.wordpress.com>