[rules-users] separating .drl declare type from actual .drl rule into each own file

Davide Sottara dsotty at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 20:22:04 EST 2013

It is supported, but you must be careful when you compile the DRL
resources.
You will have to compile the declares first and ensure that the
classloader is set correctly.
The easiest way to achieve this is to use the CompositeKnowledgeBuilder:

KnowledgeBuilder kbuilder = KnowledgeBuilderFactory.newKnowledgeBuilder();
        kbuilder.batch()
                .add( ResourceFactory.newByteArrayResource(
declares.getBytes() ), ResourceType.DRL )
                .add( ResourceFactory.newByteArrayResource(
rules.getBytes() ), ResourceType.DRL )
                .build();
KnowledgeBase kbase = KnowledgeBaseFactory.newKnowledgeBase();
        kbase.addKnowledgePackages( kbuilder.getKnowledgePackages() );

Adjust the number and type of resources as needed.

Notice that this feature is only available in more recent versions. If
you want/need to use
an older one, could you please specify which version and post the
snippet of code
you are using to build the KB?
Thanks!

Davide