[rules-users] Adding @PropertyReactive causes the other rules removed from the stack

Sonata plz.write.to at gmail.com
Fri Dec 20 04:14:00 EST 2013

Davide Sottara wrote
> The goal of @propertyReactive is exactly to prevent rules from refiring
> on a modify, based on what properties are constrained or @watched.
> This is irrelevant with respect to the order of the rules.
> This may or may not be a bug, we'd need to see the rules.
> Davide

Example attached

ReactiveTest.java
package com.sample;
import org.drools.KnowledgeBase;
import org.drools.KnowledgeBaseFactory;
import org.drools.builder.KnowledgeBuilder;
import org.drools.builder.KnowledgeBuilderFactory;
import org.drools.builder.ResourceType;
import org.drools.io.ResourceFactory;
import org.drools.logger.KnowledgeRuntimeLogger;
import org.drools.logger.KnowledgeRuntimeLoggerFactory;
import org.drools.runtime.StatefulKnowledgeSession;
public class ReactiveTest {
	public static final void main(String[] args) {
		KnowledgeBuilder kbuilder = KnowledgeBuilderFactory.newKnowledgeBuilder();
		kbuilder.add(ResourceFactory.newClassPathResource("Sample.drl"),
ResourceType.DRL);
		KnowledgeBase kbase = KnowledgeBaseFactory.newKnowledgeBase();
		kbase.addKnowledgePackages(kbuilder.getKnowledgePackages());
		StatefulKnowledgeSession ksession = kbase.newStatefulKnowledgeSession();
		ksession.insert(new MyClass());
		ksession.fireAllRules();
	}
}

MyClass.java
package com.sample;
import org.drools.definition.type.PropertyReactive;
@PropertyReactive
public class MyClass {
	private String value;
	public String getValue() { return value; }
	public void setValue(String value) { this.value = value; }
}

Sample.drl
package com.sample;
rule "1"
when MyClass(value == null)
then System.out.println("Rule 1 fired");
end

rule "2"
when m : MyClass(value == null)
then modify(m) { setData("test") }
end

rule "3"
when MyClass(value == null)
then System.out.println("Rule 3 fired");
end

So you can see from the example, rule "1", rule "2" and rule "3" are all
added to the stack ready to be fired.
Rules are then fired starting from the bottom, where rule "3" fired and then
rule "2" fired. But rule "1" is being removed from the stack after rule "2"
has fired, which is a mystery to me.

Try to remove modify(m) to just m.setData("test") in rule "2", all three
rules fired.

So I agree to your "prevent rules from refiring", but this case is not even
fired yet.