[rules-users] condition operator "||" give NPE in 6.0 but 5.x is fine

wtang wtang at kana.com
Tue Dec 24 21:15:37 EST 2013

I have a rule below and the "||" operator is giving me null pointer exception
(NPE) when the rule is invoked.  This NPE problem is only happening is 6.0.
This NPE problem does not happen in 5.x and runs without and issues in 5.x

Is this a bug in Drools 6.0?

Below is my simple rule:

rule "rule using Map"
dialect "mvel"
	when
       $map: Map(
       this["id"] == "1000" ||                  // "||" operator works fine
in 5.x but gives NPE in 6.0
       this["first"] == "Johna"
       )
    then
        System.out.println("customer is: " + $map["first"] + " " +
$map["last"]);
end

Please let me know if this is a bug in 6.0x.  thanks!