[rules-users] Drools Clips

Mark Proctor mproctor at codehaus.org
Fri Feb 1 14:02:37 EST 2013

On 1 Feb 2013, at 13:59, Grant Rettke <grettke at acm.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 6:52 PM, Mark Proctor <mproctor at codehaus.org> wrote:
>> It was only a POC that partially worked, and then stopped working, so I removed it. No one was using it, or came forward to help develop it, so figured it was kinder to put it
>> out of its misery.
>
> I see. How much interest was there in it?
zip, zilch, nadda, zero :)
> Were there any big lessons
> learned via the attempt? Eg: that is inherently a good or bad idea or
> that Drools Expert is suited well for it or it was a bad hack or
> anything?
It worked well enough. It was a translator. It took CLP and converted it to DRL for execution. We further added a simple shell, so it worked like clips shell.

> Having an OSS Java compatible version of CLIPS would be pretty
> interesting;
That's what I thought at the time, but no one showed any interest.
> not sure there is enough interest in it though to warrant
> the investment in time and effort vs licensing JESS.
If there was more interest, we would have continued to develop it.

I think at best it might be worth resurrecting as purely a CLP to DRL translator utility.

Mark