[rules-users] Anyone using JSR94?

Ben.Cotton@alumni.rutgers.edu ben.cotton at morganstanley.com
Thu Feb 14 07:24:51 EST 2013

Even if you find evidence that nobody is using JSR-94, I still would not
nuke it.

Technically, it is /the/ Java standard API for inter-operating w/ Rules
Engine providers.  Every project under the JBoss  brand seems to
prioritize the merits of  its platform stack being 100% open-source and
100% standards compliant.  By nuking JSR-94 could DROOLs (technically?
politically?)  be seen as being delinquent (wrt to this JBoss community
priority)? Also, by nuking JSR-94 -- even if no one is using it -- do
you risk some other Java based rules engine provider using a FUD-like
pitch of "Don't use DROOLs.  They use their own proprietary Java API.
Ours is JSR-94 compliant, DROOLs is not compliant ...." ?

JSR-94 seems like a relatively straightforward specification. Though it
may  be a nuisance to maintain the necessary API bridges to the DROOLs
specific interfaces and implementation capabilities, it /might/ also be
worth it to ":just do it"  ... if for no other reason than to
pre-emptively disarm any potential "DROOLs is not standards compliant!"
FUD rantings.