[rules-users] Comparing 2 Lists [Planner]

Welsh, Armand AWelsh at statestreet.com
Tue Feb 19 18:47:43 EST 2013

I assume Engineer().skillEngineerList() is a Collection of SkillEngineer facts for the selected engineer. So there is no need to bind SkillEngineer facts that you extract from the engineer to the engineer, the binding is implicit in the POJO relationship.

But more importantly, why are you binding the workOrder to the engineer?  I think what you want is this:

rule "requiredSkill"
            when
                        $engineer : Engineer()
                        SkillEngineer( $skill : skill ) from $engineer.skillEngineerList

                        $workOrder : WorkOrder( )
                        SkillWorkOrder( skill == $skill ) from $workOrder.requiredSkills
            then
                        insertLogical(new IntConstraintOccurrence("requiredSkill", ConstraintType.NEGATIVE_HARD,
                                    1, $engineer));
end

notice, I also removed the binding of the SkillWorkOrder.workorder, as that binding is already implied since you are query against the collection of WorkOrder that you get the list from.

If I have thought this through correctly, what I am doing is collecting all the skills for all the engineers.  Then I collect all the workorder, and pull only those workorders that can be matched to an engineer's skill.  I am not sure if this will adequately reduce you list of engineers the way you expect.  I don't understand the datamodel enough, but I like to take a more focused approach:

rule "requiredSkill"
            when
                        $workOrder : WorkOrder( )
                        SkillWorkOrder( $skill : skill ) from $workOrder.requiredSkills

                        $engineer : Engineer( )
                        SkillEngineer( skill == $skill ) from $engineer.skillEngineerList

            then
                        insertLogical(new IntConstraintOccurrence("requiredSkill", ConstraintType.NEGATIVE_HARD,
                                    1, $engineer));
end

Although all the same details are here, I am first collecting all the work order.  For each work order, I extract the skills.  Then I get the engineers, but only those where the skill matches the workorder's required skill.  It should still be the same result.

The real challenge I see here, is that with all the from clauses you aren't taking advantage of the rete knowledge tree much...  and by removing the bindings to the employee you are now looking at all workorders, not just the ones for a specific employee.