[rules-users] GC Overhead Limit Exceeded and 1B JoinLeftNode Objects

Julian Klein julianklein at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 13:07:57 EST 2013

Thanks for all the advice once again.  I understand their is a distinct
possibility that my rules are highly inefficient and therefore leading to a
large memory requirement.  I will keep pairing this down to one thread and
one use case.

So here are two example rules I have.  This demonstrates the approach I am
using (pattern matching, temporal reasoning, regex matches, etc). You'll
notice that rule 001n only fires when 001d exists.  It is operating on
a separate agenda as well.  I am not sure that makes sense, but it will
come down to whether a Stateless with Sequential mode is better for my
scenarios than a Stateful session with one agenda (or two with the agenda
being switched after the first call to fireAllRules).  For
reference, durationCycleYear and utils are globals.  One is a I can see at
the least that I need to move some variables to the right hand side of the
== statements.  Most of the rules are similar in their approach.

rule "001 [d]"
@id("001d")
agenda-group 'd-rules-agenda'

    when
      $sv1 : SiteVisit( yearRecorded == durationCycleYear, !annualVisit )
      FaultCode( $sv1.ID==svID, code matches "366.\\d+|743.3\\d?" )
      $inspector: Insepector (ID == $sv1.insepectortID)

      $sv2 : SitVisit( yearRecorded == durationCycleYear, !annualVisit )
      #make sure we are dealing with the same inspector
      Inspector (ID == $sv2.inspectorID, EUID == $inspector.EUID)

      ( FaultCode( $sv2.ID == svID, code matches "45.61" ) or
                  ServiceCode($sv2.ID == svID, code matches
"66(8[4-9][0-9]|9([0-3][0-9]|40))|66982|66984|66983" ) )

    then
      insert(utils.saveAndReturnEvent(kcontext, $sv2));
end

rule "001 [n]"
@id("001n")
agenda-group 'n-rules-agenda'
    when
      $event : Event( externalID == "001d")
      $encD : SiteVisit($event.svID == ID)
      $inspector : Inspector (ID == $svD.inspectorID)

      $svN : SiteVisit( datetimeRecorded after[0ms, 90d]
$svD.datetimeRecorded, !annualVisit )
      #make sure we are dealing with the same inspector
     Inspector (ID == $svN.inspectorID, EUID == $inspector.EUID)

      FaultCode($svN.ID == svID, code matches
"361.\\d+|362.4[23]|371.\\d+|360.0\\d?|360.1|362.53|998.82|998.9" )

    then
      insert(utils.saveAndReturnEvent(kcontext, $svN));
end