[rules-users] Newbie question. Possibilities for optimizing Employee Schedules

Geoffrey De Smet ge0ffrey.spam at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 11:15:50 EST 2013

Op 28-02-13 16:16, sanger schreef:
> I have an application that requires optimizing an Employee schedule. One of
> the criteria is that the schedule must remain as static as possible. In
> other words, when conditions change the system must make the minimum number
> of adjustments to the schedule to accomodate the new conditions. We would
> not want the entire schedule to be shuffled just because one person is off
> sick.
>
> Is this a criteria that can be easily handled with Drools Planner?
Yes
Give each entity an extra property: the original value of the planning
variable property.
For example:

class ShiftAssignment {
    Shift shift;
    Employee originalEmployee; // Just a normal problem fact
    Employee employee; // Planning variable
}

then add a rule which adds a cost for every entity that moved

when
    ShiftAssignment( originalEmployee != employee, $employee : employee)
then
    // add soft constraint for -(employee.getMoveCost()).

You can make the move cost depend on all sort of factors.