[rules-users] Drools Fusion and Twitter Storm

karlunho alan at apigee.com
Sat Jan 5 11:18:41 EST 2013

Hi Folks,

I'd like to hear about any stories of using Drools in combination with
Twitter's  Storm <http://storm-project.net/>  .

The problem that I'm trying to solve is making a highly scalable event
processing system with the following properties:

1. Lots of events for the same timeframe - that means if the events expire
within 30 minutes, there are too many events to compute in a 30 minute
period for a single node
2. Fault tolerant - Meaning that if a node goes down, event processing will
not be affected or data will not be lost.
3. Perform Aggregates across large number of events

Has anyone tried to integrate the two systems ? There are a couple of
thoughts that I have why the two would be a nice match:

1. Twitter Storm seems to take care of most of the distributed processing
problem. Specifically, it allows for generating partial aggregate on
multiple nodes, followed by creating complete aggregates across nodes. Kind
of like a streaming map-reduce system.
2. Drools seems to have better a better language for event processing -
especially when there are layers and layers of business rules.
3. Drools Guvnor allows on-the-fly modification of rules - this is a huge
limitation of Twitter storm because it does not allow on-the-fly
modification of event processing topologies.

Let me know what everyone thinks (or if anyone has implemented this) !

The system I'm planning to apply this to is a mobile analytics system where
we are collecting network traffic and log data across potentially millions
of smartphones in real-time.

Regards,
Alan Ho