[rules-users] Bomb when calling Drools with PKG containing a process

David Shields OpenCDS david.shields at opencds.org
Tue Jan 8 09:41:37 EST 2013

I have been trying to upgrade our application to Drools 5.5 from Drools 5.4.
I rebuilt several knowledgeBases containing processes with Drools 5.5, but I
can't get them to run.  I can get a simple DRL file that does not reference
any processes to run just fine.  Both the DRL and the KBs use
statelessSessions.  The program has been used for a couple years, and has
been modified to run with Drools 5.1.1, 5.3, 5.4, and now 5.5, and has been
supporting processes since Drools 5.3 / jBPM 5.2.

Here is the bomb that I get:

OpenCDS call to Drools.execute failed with error: Unexpected exception
executing action
org.jbpm.process.instance.event.DefaultSignalManager$SignalAction at 5cd5a2a9

org.drools.common.AbstractWorkingMemory:executeQueuedActions:995

org.drools.common.DefaultAgenda:fireNextItem:1239

org.drools.common.DefaultAgenda:fireAllRules:1456

org.drools.common.AbstractWorkingMemory:fireAllRules:710

org.drools.common.AbstractWorkingMemory:fireAllRules:674

org.drools.impl.StatefulKnowledgeSessionImpl:fireAllRules:230

org.drools.impl.StatelessKnowledgeSessionImpl:execute:278

org.opencds.service.drools.v55.DroolsAdapter:getOneResponse:370

org.opencds.dss.evaluate.EvaluationImpl:evaluate:169

org.opencds.service.TestEvaluationImpl:main:156

org.omg.dss.DSSRuntimeExceptionFault: OpenCDS call to Drools.execute failed
with error: Unexpected exception executing action
org.jbpm.process.instance.event.DefaultSignalManager$SignalAction at 5cd5a2a9

executeQueuedActions

fireNextItem

fireAllRules

fireAllRules

fireAllRules

fireAllRules

execute

getOneResponse

evaluate

main

I have single-stepped through the code with Eclipse, but I can't quite
figure out what is wrong with my KBs.  They ran just fine on Drools 5.4
(although there was a memory leak in Drools with that version), and the only
thing I changed was to populate the "probability" value on the BPMN-Diagram
(because it wouldn't validate without it).

The program builds a command list, and executes it with the following:

      ExecutionResults results = null;

      try {

            results =
statelessKnowledgeSession.execute(CommandFactory.newBatchExecution((cmds)));

      } catch (Exception e) {

            String err = "OpenCDS call to Drools.execute failed with error:
" + e.getMessage();

            log.error(err);

            StackTraceElement elements[] = e.getStackTrace();

            for (int i = 0, n = elements.length; i < n; i++) {

                  String detail = elements[i].getClassName() + ":" +
elements[i].getMethodName() + ":" + elements[i].getLineNumber();

                  log.error(detail);

                  err += "\n" + elements[i].getMethodName();

            }

                  throw new DSSRuntimeExceptionFault(err);

      }

Has anybody seen this error before?

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions!

-- des