[rules-users] Rule performance with accumulate

Ryan Crumley crumley at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 16:22:15 EST 2013

The previous rule looked something like this (simplified version):

rule "Poor Performing Rule"
agenda-group "Summarize"
when
   $a : A( …, $category : category  )
   $all : List() from collect( A( category == $category )
then
   modify( $a ) { updateSummary( …, $all ) }

In this case "collect" is used is to generate a list of all A facts which
need to be used in "updateSummary". This performed poorly because A facts
are inserted and modified frequently in earlier agenda-groups. I now
appreciate agenda-groups only affect when a rule fires... Not when the rule
is evaluated! Since facts that match $a are changed frequently the collect(
… ) was evaluated A LOT and caused poor performance.

The ruleset I am working on has a concept of grouping facts into "buckets"
of other facts with similar qualities. So I add a new rule to keep track of
A facts:

rule "Add A Facts into Bucket by Category"
agenda-group "GroupThatComesBeforeSummarize"
no-loop
when
   $a : A( …, $category : category  )
   $bucket : Bucket( … )
then
   modify( $bucket ) { add( $category, $a )  }

Then I modified the original rule to use this Bucket( … ) instead of
collect( .. ) :

rule "Better Performing Rule"
agenda-group "Summarize"
when
   $a : A( …, $category : category  )
   $bucket : Bucket( … )
then
   modify( $a ) { updateSummary( …, $bucket.getAll( $category) ) }

The two rules need to be in different agenda-groups to ensure all of the
A(…) objects are added to the bucket before the bucket is used to generate
summaries.

Hope this helps someone.

Ryan