[rules-users] detecting score traps

Geoffrey De Smet ge0ffrey.spam at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 09:57:35 EST 2013

Op 19-01-13 19:18, Michiel Vermandel schreef:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any deterministic way for detecting a score trap in Drools
> Planner?
> I have read about the hill-climbing issue and the ways to reduce the
> possibility of this but I think it is still possible to encounter, right?
> So it would be great to have some red-light flashing when it happens
> after all :-)
Yes, but they are hard to detect automatically.
One red-light flashing is by using
<problemStatisticType>BEST_SOLUTION_CHANGED</problemStatisticType>
http://docs.jboss.org/drools/release/5.5.0.Final/drools-planner-docs/html_single/index.html#d0e7101
I 'd like to automate detection of it:
   https://issues.jboss.org/browse/PLANNER-120

If you see this, you probably have a score trap:
https://issues.jboss.org/secure/attachment/12359971/badBecauseScoreTrap.png
Then run the solver again, but terminate it in the middle of that first
flat line and write the solution.
Then examine that solution for score traps.

Just pushed a new image and some docs explaining score traps better, as
several users might have encountered it:
https://github.com/droolsjbpm/drools-planner/commit/e9034f4ac60e7a4bd65f7223c5a3dd47e0d7b903