[rules-users] hot deployment behavior

William Guinn William.Guinn at summussoftware.com
Mon Jan 21 18:59:32 EST 2013

Would someone be so kind to describe exactly what happens when we hot deploy a rule change to a stateful session. It looks like the old version of the rule is deleted, in turn forcing a retraction of any RHS that was logically inserted (all our inserts are logical) as a consequence of this rule (and any cascading effects) that has no other LHS to support its existence. Then the new rule is inserted, the agenda is rebuilt based on the current working memory contents, and the rule is automatically fired (in our case recreating everything it just deleted)

Do I have this right?

Is there a way to change the behavior to be less invasive? This "rebuild" can take minutes, and I am not running at high volume yet.

For example what if the updated rule logically has no impact on existing working memory contents, let's say it's a maintenance change for future facts or new conditions? If the operation did not delete and rebuild everything, rather if it determined the impact of the change, and only replaced retracted/deleted what is affected by the logic change, would this be faster?

Bottom line it would be highly desirable for this to be minimally invasive.

thanks

[cid:image001.gif at 01CDF7F0.4B5CB130]
Bill Guinn   |  Sr. Vice President, and CTO
SUMMUS Software, Inc.
3179 Skyway Court, Fremont, CA 94539
510.780.3895 office  |  916.715.6433 mobile
@summussoftware twitter
william.guinn at summussoftware.com<mailto:kl at summussoftware.com>

[cid:image002.png at 01CDF7F0.4B5CB130]  [cid:image003.jpg at 01CDF7F0.4B5CB130] <http://www.summussoftware.com/pdfs/EMA_NGITM-Q4-2012_Radar_Summus-Profile.pdf>

NOTICE TO RECIPIENT: THIS E-MAIL (INCLUDING ANY ATTACHMENTS) IS MEANT FOR ONLY THE INTENDED RECIPIENT OF THE TRANSMISSION, MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION, AND IS PROTECTED BY LAW. IF YOU RECEIVED THIS E-MAIL IN ERROR, PLEASE IMMEDIATELY NOTIFY THE SENDER OF THE ERROR BY RETURN E-MAIL, DELETE THIS COMMUNICATION AND SHRED ANY ATTACHMENTS. UNAUTHORIZED REVIEW, USE, DISSEMINATION, DISTRIBUTION, COPYING OR TAKING OF ANY ACTION BASED ON THIS COMMUNICATION IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.