[rules-users] business guided rule editor

Stephen Masters stephen.masters at me.com
Thu Jan 24 07:59:58 EST 2013

In the absence of a better explanation of your troubles, I'm going to indulge in some serious guesswork...

I'm going to assume that you already have Guvnor installed and that you have a number of rules stored in it.

I'm going to assume that you are able to login to Guvnor and view the lists of rules.

I'm going to assume that some rules do open in the guided editor, but some don't.

Assuming that these assumptions are reasonably accurate then I shall take a guess at the issue based on my experiences with Guvnor.

For me it's a reasonably common problem to find that some rules just won't open in the guided editor, and no errors are shown to explain why. Every time that has happened to me it's because I am referring to an invalid enumeration from my DSL. You need to take a look at the DSL, determine what enumerations it might be using to generate drop-down menus, and then work out what is wrong with those enumerations.

As an additional pointer, Guvnor provides the guided rule editor, but it is possible to edit rules without it. You can install the drools plugins in the Eclipse IDE, and connect to the Guvnor repository via webdav. That way, you can edit the rules directly.

Hopefully my guesswork is reasonably accurate and that might help you work out your bugs.

Steve