[rules-users] NullPointerException when updating a fact

schenka7 eugen.berenstein at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 08:27:37 EDT 2013

Hi dear drools team,
I've got a strange problem and hope someone can help me. I'm using drools
5.5.0.

I have some rules to validate user input. These will set the valid flag on a
fact to false and insert a Message fact into working memory that will
contain a message and a reference to the causing fact.

I also have a rule to retract Messages for facts which are not invalid
anymore.

I observe a NullPointerException originating at
DefaultAgenda.createActivation() when I perform following steps:
Insert a valid FirstName and call session.fireAllRules().
Change the FirstName to become invalid, call session.update() on it and call
session.fireAllRules().

The rule for retracting messages is the cause for the problem.
My question is, how can I fix it? Or is there a better way to manage error
messages?

Thank you