[rules-users] Continuous Integration - Guvnor repository question

nzhu972 nev972 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 29 15:12:39 EDT 2013

I am searching for a way to import/export the repository, essentially syncing
or duplicating rules assets between Guvnor in different environment such as
DEV/QA/Production and didn't find a solution for it.

https://issues.jboss.org/browse/GUVNOR-311 <<== indicate this will not
become a reality any time soon

http://drools.46999.n3.nabble.com/Can-we-retrieve-the-rules-as-XML-from-guvnor-using-java-code-td4013660.html#none
<<=== Vincent's post here indicate that REST api is the way to go

My question is:

1) Before I jump into the REST API route, can someone confirm is this is the
correct approach? looking at
http://docs.jboss.org/drools/release/5.3.0.Beta1/drools-guvnor-docs/html/ch09.html#d0e1695

in Table 9.2 of the above document, can i achieve export/import by calling
the REST API via the following 2 urls?

a) /packages GET   application/atom+xml   <<==== exporting the repository
from one server
b) /packages/{packageName}  PUT application/atom+xml   <<====== importing it
into another server

2) since repository are saved in a db, can a new Guvnor instance point to an
existing DB and inherit the rules assets? I suspect this would introduce
race condition and version conflict with the data.

3) is there a better way of achieving this in the latest Drools 6?

Thank you in advance for any inputs.