[rules-users] java.lang.ClassCastException: org.drools.reteoo.BetaMemory cannot be cast to org.drools.reteoo.AlphaNode$AlphaMemory

Davide Sottara dsotty at gmail.com
Wed May 1 19:02:53 EDT 2013

The original thread was for a bug in 5.0.x, fixed in 5.1, but it would be a
very serious issue in 5.5. It basically means that the local memory of a
beta node has been assigned to an alpha node, or that the wrong memory had
been retrieved. In any case, the rete is broken: wrong facts or types would
be joined in a different order or way than stated by the rules.

Is this something you're experiencing , or just worried that it may happen?

Causes could be an invalid rule in the first place (running the engine
without checking for compilation errors), a bug in the construction process
(unlikely, unless the rule is a very rare edge case), or a complex scenario
where you add and remove rules dynamically from a knowledge base.