[rules-users] Drools Decision Table with no rules matches blank rule

srtatz srtatz at live.com
Wed Oct 30 18:13:20 EDT 2013

I have an xls file with the appropriate header lines to make the xls a Drools
Decision Table that I provide to my users.  I validate the content/data they
enter, but do allow it to be "blank", that is, no user data, just the Drools
Decision Table key words, conditions, actions, etc.

When using the stateful knowledge session built using the Drools Decision
Table, I insert an object implementing AgendaEventListener and override the
afterActivationEvent method to record on the object which row was hit.  I
found that it is saying it hit the first row in the Drools Decision Table
after the header information.  But that corresponds to a blank line, since
the table is blank.  It seems to have generated a blank drl rule behind the
scenes with no conditions (so it always succeeds) and no actions.  Since I
have logic based on whether or not a rule was successfully selected, this
selection of a non-existent rule breaks my code.

The user won't really be using a blank spreadsheet, but I need to cover the
situation. The validation is pretty set in stone right now so I don't want
to force the user to have some data.

Can anyone suggest an easy way to stop it from matching the blank line?

Thanks,

Steve