[rules-users] Integrate Drools with Java application, need recommendations

srikanthmalli srikanthmalli at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 19:15:27 EDT 2013

Hi,

I am trying Drools/Guvnor for very first time, we are planned to do Rule
Authoring in Guvnor, compile, build and download the package to “Rule
Package Directory”.

Now the question I am having is, what is the best way to integrate Drools
with our Java application?
Option 1) Build the knowledge agent and start inserting the facts into
memory for rule evaluation in our application. In this case Drools engine
use JVM same as application JVM.
Option 2) Have a Drools Server which builds the knowledge agent, and
application can send the requests to Drools Server for rule evaluation using
REST API. Rules will be executed in separate JVM than application JVM.

I also wondering is there any performance (in terms of execution time)
difference between the options mentioned above?

Could you please also let me know if I am thinking in the right direction?

-Sri