[rules-users] Compatability between Eclipse jBPM5 5.5 Editor and Designer 2.4?

kawest173713 kawest at fedex.com
Fri Sep 6 00:21:00 EDT 2013

I had implemented a process in Designer 2.4 (thru Guvnor), using the Workflow
pattern "Arbitrary Cycle" that is provided out of the box with the designer.
Basically just created a new process within Designer, then placed the
Arbitrary Cycle pattern into the process, and saved it - without making any
changes to it. I was able import it into Eclipse (Kepler) and bring it up
from within Eclipse with no issues.

Because the out of the box Arbitrary Cycle pattern had validation errors, I
went back into Designer to fix all the validation errors and modify the
tasks, which included:

- made all the tasks script tasks
- Changed all of the paths out of the XOR gateways to have a "50%"
probability
- added a start and end event
- added a flow out of task E to the end event
- added a flow out of G to the end event
- created a png of the process

I then selected the validate process button, and everything validated fine.

Switching back to Eclipse, I imported the process using the File -> New ->
Resources From Guvnor.

When I then tried to bring the process up in Eclipse, I got the following
popup error:

An exception occurred while reading the Ruleflow XML: this type of node
cannot have more than one incoming connection!

In the Eclipse log for the worspace, it had the following exception:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: This type of node cannot have more than
one incoming connection!
	at
org.jbpm.workflow.core.node.EndNode.validateAddIncomingConnection(EndNode.java:59)
	at
org.jbpm.workflow.core.impl.NodeImpl.addIncomingConnection(NodeImpl.java:100)
	at
org.jbpm.workflow.core.impl.ConnectionImpl.connect(ConnectionImpl.java:76)
	at
org.jbpm.workflow.core.impl.ConnectionImpl.<init>(ConnectionImpl.java:71)
	at
org.jbpm.bpmn2.xml.ProcessHandler.linkConnections(ProcessHandler.java:293)
	at org.jbpm.bpmn2.xml.ProcessHandler.end(ProcessHandler.java:145)
	at
org.drools.xml.ExtensibleXmlParser.endElement(ExtensibleXmlParser.java:422)
	at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.endElement(Unknown
Source)

Given this, it seems to me that the designer is creating processes that the
Eclipse editor is unable to parse/render. Is this expected behavior - i.e.
is the designer a superset of the Eclipse editor capabilities?

If so, what capabilities are in Designer that aren't supported in the
Eclipse editor - if such a list exists? I just don't want to spend much time
implementing in the Designer if I never know what will/won't import to
Eclipse.

Thanks,
Keith