[rules-users] (Hot?) rules production deployment

Pykhtin, Alex apykhtin at ebay.com
Mon Apr 21 11:21:52 EDT 2014

Anyone can tell if Drools supports hot deployment of rules and fact types?

We are using Drools rules (No Guvnor/Workbench), and the whole cycle Development-Test-Production takes a very long time. Ideally we would like business users to add or modify rules in Production without risk of crashing entire rules engine. But as of today, any rule or fact type change is subject to full regression testing, as any other of our Java code. I tried to experiment with Drools Workbench, but so far it doesn't look like it can help much with hot deployment. Workbench can greatly streamline the development and deployment process, but generally speaking, since all Drools boils down to Java, it is essentially another jar deployment. So, it looks like if we would want to simplify our production deployments, the only option is to abolish the QA cycle for Drools jars (which our QA will probably never agree to).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Alex