[rules-users] (Hot?) rules production deployment

Pykhtin, Alex apykhtin at ebay.com
Wed Apr 23 14:10:28 EDT 2014

Thank you, Steve,
I looked at KnowledgeAgent and KieScanner documentation and looks like this is something that can help in hot deployment, but not so much in safe proofing.

Here are some basic facts (or misconceptions) that I have gathered so far:

1.  KnowledgeAgent and KieScanner are able to dynamically detect changes in the rules (and other resources) and hot-deploy them to running Drools installation;

2.  KnowledgeAgent belongs to Drools 5.X. In 6.X it is deprecated in favor of KieScanner (which is available starting 6.0.X);

3.  KnowledgeAgent transmits changes through monitoring file system for .DRL files or via HTTP connection to a running Guvnor instance;

4.  KieScanner transmits changes through monitoring Maven repository. It appears like old KnowledgeAgent's ability to transmit individual .DRL files is deprecated;

5.  Neither KnowledgeAgent nor KieScanner have a built-in mechanism for error handling, at least not a sophisticated one. There is no way to perform a rollback if at some point it becomes clear that a new update is a bad one.

Thanks,
Alex