[rules-users] OptaPlanner scalability

Geoffrey De Smet ge0ffrey.spam at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 09:12:22 EDT 2014

On 30-04-14 15:04, Rupesh M G wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tested Optaplanner successfully for a fleet planning application.
> Upto 1200 trips with around 80 vehicles for 3 days is fine.
> I'm reaching the target of 0 hard constraints in less than 30 minutes.
>
> But my target is to plan for a month with 12000 trips using 80 vehicles.
> This time it didn't complete even after 12 hours.
> I found the memory (< 500 MB) and CPU (25%) usage is less.
> So tried running 3 solver threads and grouping the vehicles.
> Now CPU usage increases.
>
> I followed the vehicle routing sample application and the config xml is very similar.
> I used late acceptance (200) and accept count (1000).
>
> I'm using incremental score calculation; and applied change & swap filters in the config xml.
>
> Requesting experts for some thoughts on how Optaplanner can scale on similar situations.

See the 2 blog articles by Roman about VRP in this section:
   http://www.optaplanner.org/learn/testimonialsAndCaseStudies.html
He uses geo-fencing to scale.

I don't believe geo-fencing is the best approach,
I am working on nearby selection, which I believe will be better
(because it still allows any location to go to any other location):
   https://issues.jboss.org/browse/PLANNER-202
Some time ago, I did an experiment with nearby selection on a TSP
variant with 150 000 locations and it worked well.

Also, the 6.1 beta's have seen some small perf improvements related to
vehicle routing IIRC.