[rules-users] Obtain contents of global variable java.util.List results after rules have fired.

mvanders mark.vandersteen at servicestream.com.au
Tue Feb 11 23:27:16 EST 2014

Hi all,

I'm attempting to output the results of action results embedded in Decision
Tables (Excel)

Our ACTION's in the excel table creates a HashMap<String, Object> and then
this HashMap is added to a global variable java.util.List results variable,
as can be seen below (ie column1 & column2)

*/ACTION  (Column 1)/*
Map result = new HashMap();
results.add(result);
result.put(""itemCode"",""$param"");"

*/ACTION (Column 2)/*
result.put("quantity",calculateQuantity(incomingDataMap,"$param"));

calculateQuantity is a function that determines a quantity based on
Conditions and values in the incomingDataMap

This works well, and the results variable is populated and available for use
in code works.

/Now the Problem Im facing/ is ni regards to business user testing.

When running regression testing I would like to somehow display the contents
of the List of HashMap.
It is important to the Business User to see that correct quantities are also
being generated, not just the correct rule was fired.

The approach I've been searching for is this; Is it possible to output extra
lines of text into the file generated when clicking on the *URL for running
tests*. A text file generates with SUCCESS or FAIL and the Test Scenario
name.

Is this possible?

Otherwise i may need to somehow create a separate FACT Model and alter my 2
ACTION column in the decision table to also output information into a FACT
model then use it to trigger another rule, that can read the value generated
in the calculateQuantity function.

Hopefully you can work out what im attempting to do here and offer some
advice, im not sure on the best practice on presenting this sort of
information and have trouble finding much info with dealing with the output
of actions in this way.

Cheers and thanks for you help in advance
Mark