[rules-users] sliding window question

Wolfgang Laun wolfgang.laun at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 02:01:38 EST 2014

The correct way to ascertain that something hasn't happened for
a certain interval must be based on "staking out" this interval. One
way is by means of two distinct events:

   when
     $r1: Reading( reading >90 )
     $r2: Reading( reading > 90, this after[30s] $r1 )
     not Reading( reading <= 90, this after $r1 && before $r2 )
   then

Clearly, this will only work if  Readings arrive regularly, and you may have a
certain amount of delay at the end.

Another way would be to use a sliding window over time:

   when
     not Reading( reading <= 90 ) over window:time( 30s )
   then

Here's a snag, too: If there are no readings at all, you'll also get an alert.

And then you'll have to think about the seconds following the 30th
second: should another alert be emitted repeatedly...

Most of the time, it's not an issue in CEP ;-)

-W