[rules-users] VCRP - Distance calculation in getMilliDistance

Geoffrey De Smet ge0ffrey.spam at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 12:26:18 EST 2014

On 27-02-14 16:55, Marcus Uerlings wrote:
> Hi
>
> I´ve download Optaplanner a couple of months ago and found it
> fantastic!! Congrats to Geoffrey!
>
> I´m not a programmer, but a logistic consultant to a non-governmental
> organization (NGO) of recycling products and like to give my "cent of
> contribuition" if it applies.
Intresting use case :)
I love that fact that NGO's are taking advantage of this software too.

Do note that the examples/docs are aimed at Java programmers (because
any real-world application requires customization to the actual
organization that wants to use it), OptaPlanner doesn't try to be a
generic out-of-the-box VRP solution (but something like that can be
build downstream upon OptaPlanner).

> 1. Distance Calculation:
>
> I´ve learned from a person that works with georeference that a good
> aproximation in calculating distances from latitude and longitude is
> to multiply the Euclidean result by "111.1".
> This "magic number" will give the approximate distance in kilometers
> and then the final soft score will show the minimum distance in "km"
> and not in "fuel" (although they are related).
>
> =====
>   public int getMilliDistance(Location location) {
> ( ... )
>               (latitudeDifference * latitudeDifference) +
> (longitudeDifference * longitudeDifference));
>       return (int) (distance * 1000.0 * 111.1);
>   }
> =====
>
> 2. Heteregenous vehicles
>
> Many times a fleet is made of different vehicles, different sizes,
> capacity and one of the most important,  different mileages (in
> Km/litre or litres/100 km).
> How can I put it in vehicle parameters, together with capacity and
> took into account in score calculation?
> Doing so, the score would be calculated as minimum(Distance*mileage).
That requires Java programming, but it's not that much work:
- add the fields on the class Vehicle
- add the fields in the xml input
- use the fields in the score DRL

> 3. Real example
> I fed real data into Optaplanner VCRP and plot the results in Googlemaps.
> Due to one way streets, the result does not look efficient to the
> drivers of the NGO.
> Is there a way to use an internet routing service, like Googlemaps in
> Optaplanner?
> If it is possible, can someone help me coding this? :)
Peter Karich was recently planning to combine OptaPlanner with
Graphhopper (both open source) to accomplish exactly that.
I am not sure if he follows this list, but might be interesting to open
a conversation with him.