[rules-users] Is protobuf cache actually used?

Edson Tirelli ed.tirelli at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 08:13:01 EDT 2014

   It is a bit convoluted, indeed, but AFAIK, it is using the cache
and working fine. The cache is populated here:

https://github.com/droolsjbpm/drools/blob/master/drools-compiler/src/main/java/org/drools/compiler/kie/builder/impl/AbstractKieModule.java#L301

   It is set here:

https://github.com/droolsjbpm/drools/blob/master/drools-compiler/src/main/java/org/drools/compiler/kie/builder/impl/AbstractKieModule.java#L180

   And we have some tests here:

https://github.com/droolsjbpm/drools/blob/master/drools-compiler/src/test/java/org/drools/compiler/integrationtests/KieCompilationCacheTest.java

   Edson

On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 7:01 PM, Federico Bertola
<federico.bertola88 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Edson,
> yes I saw that the JavaDialect class retrieve the compilation cache from
> the conf, but after a quick search it seems no one use the
> setCompilationCache method of KnowledgeBuilderConfigurationImpl, not
> even in the tests. So I was wondering what was the best way to use it...
>
> Maybe I get something wrong, in that case, I apologize :)
>
> Federico.
>
> On 07/07/2014 21:04, Edson Tirelli wrote:
>> Federico,
>>
>> Not sure why you say it is not used?
>>
>> Drools tries to use any pre-compiled resource bytecode if it is
>> available in the cache. If it is not available, it falls back to JIT
>> compilation:
>>
>> https://github.com/droolsjbpm/drools/blob/master/drools-compiler/src/main/java/org/drools/compiler/rule/builder/dialect/java/JavaDialect.java#L627
>>
>> Edson
>>
>> On Sat, Jul 5, 2014 at 11:34 AM, Federico Bertola
>> <federico.bertola88 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> from what I see, the protobuf cache that the KnowledgeBuilder produce
>>> and saves as *.cache, is not currently used anywhere, right? If so, what
>>> would it be required to reload the compilation data inside the
>>> KnowledgeBuilder? There's something I'm missing or there is some piece
>>> of code demonstrating this capability?
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Federico.

  Edson Tirelli
  Principal Software Engineer
  Red Hat Business Systems and Intelligence Group