[rules-users] Problem when I cleaning the production memory.

Davide Sottara dsotty at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 14:43:34 EDT 2014

Conceptually you are right, but in practice, when you add a rule/query
to the KBase all the available facts are propagated through the newly
built piece of RETE. Since you clear all the rules first (which has some
cost)
and then you build a new set of rules, the effect is very similar - only,
the engine will implicitly re-insert the objects for you.
Now, a clean insertion has some costs (like the creation of the handles),
so it would be interesting to benchmark the two alternatives.

>From a developer's perspective, moving the objects from a session into
another is as simple as this:

for ( Object o : oldSession.getObjects() ) {
    newSession.insert( o );
}

and if you can't (re)compile the source code, there is little that can be
done to solve your problem. Unless there is a multi-threading issue,
that is, you have different threads adding facts, removing rules/queries
and adding the new ones. If that was the case, I would not be surprised
since 5.5 was not thread safe.

Davide