[rules-users] Problem with Drools 6.0.1 Eclipse Projects with CDI and Java 7

WebHomer webster.homer at sial.com
Thu Jul 24 10:35:30 EDT 2014

I'm new to Drools and pretty new to maven. I am trying to incorporate Drools
6.0.1 into a Wildfly (8.0.0) based project. I am using the current version
of JBoss Developer Studio 7.1.1.GA on Redhat Linux In Eclipse the project
has a number of errors in CDI modules, but builds without errors in maven.
The Java auto-complete works correctly as I import annotations, but after is
is imported I get an error in the file showing

import javax.enterprise.context.ApplicationScoped;
import javax.enterprise.context.Dependent;
import javax.enterprise.inject.Disposes;
import javax.enterprise.inject.Produces;
import javax.enterprise.inject.spi.InjectionPoint;
The above all show the same type of error:

Only a type can be imported. javax.enterprise.inject.Disposes resolves to a
package
It seems to be limited to the javax cdi includes

This is a maven project, and maven compiles it with no problems. Only
Eclipse seems to have an issue.

I have m2eclipse installed as well.

In addition, if I use Java 7 syntax extensions it complains about those too.
The maven pom specifies Java 1.7, the project facets specifies 1.7 and the
default compliance level is also Java 1.7. But something somewhere doesn't
like it. Again, a maven build works. Only Eclipse has problems. I suspect
the Eclipse Drools plugin may be at fault as I don't see this in non-Drools
projects

I see this in the standard Java files, not the .drl files. It is quite
annoying and frustrating. We have to build using only maven

I found that this can be easily reproduced. You need m2eclipse installed,
and the drools 6.0.1.Final eclipse plugin installed
1. In Eclipse create a new drools project
2. Convert the project to maven
3. add the javax.enterprise:cdi-api (version 1.1) dependency
4. Maven>Update Project
5. edit a java file in the project and try to add one of the above listed
imports and you will see the same error.

I believe that this is also related:
I set my pom.xml to java 7, verified that the project was java 7 compliance
etc and the eclipse editor still complained about the use of Java 7 features
like the "diamond" operator.
It seems that Drools doesn't like Eclipse and Java 7...
<http://drools.46999.n3.nabble.com/file/n4030485/EclipseErrors.png>