[rules-users] Conflict resolution strategy - before vs after Phreak impl

Mark Proctor mproctor at codehaus.org
Mon Jul 28 12:11:56 EDT 2014

Conflict resolution strategies are “magic” things, it means how a set of rules behave cannot be determined from reading the rules alone, and could potentially change if someone changes the backend component (possibly without you knowing). Our preference is to ensure any execution behaviour is encoded and visible in the rules themselves. Over time we’d rather create additional declarative ways to do this on the rules themselves, rather than change some magic backend component; such as the experimental declarative agenda we’ve added. CRS in 6x is different to 5x, it’s now choosing the order or rules to evaluate, where as 5x the CRS controls the order in which rules are fired. We need to be free to change these type of things, without worrying about user compatibility - so less we expose to end suers the better; and as mentioned I consider it an anti-pattern in ease of rule authoring and maintenance. The only reason why we haven’t removed all of the implementations is that there is a degree of 5x compatibility in the system still.

Phreak is just depth + load order, so it’s not a big change, all it does is remove the degree of arbitrary behaviour you were relying on for performance. Depth in 5x meant rules with the same salience were executed in an arbitrary order, it seems this arbitrary order was not so arbitrary in your case and makes an impact on performance - but as it’s arbitrary the repeatability of this cannot be ensured, even across environments let alone versions. In 6x this is no longer arbitrary, which will allow people more predictability in their rule executions. Load order is also much easier for people to understand and deal with, and often avoids the need to use salience at all - it’s also how people’s brains tend to think.  Rules higher up in the file, fire first. We recommend one “agenda-group” per file, so that it’s easy to keep control of those orders. Salience can still over-ride this; but over time we have further ideas to completely remove the need for salience. This didn’t make much sense in 5x as load order was not preserved between kbase updates, so if you add rules later you lose the load order. In 6x we fixed this, so load order is always preserved between versions, an thus adding this enhancement makes sense.

So the key takeaway is for future systems it should make them easier to author and with more predictable performance results.

You can still run the rete engine if you want, it’s available through configuration. Although it would be better to start working with Phreak, so you can provide feedback to us, for future improvements.

Mark