[rules-users] Rules storage without Guvnor?

Péter Gergely, Horváth h.peter at mailbox.hu
Mon Jun 2 03:40:01 EDT 2014

Hello All,

We are evaluating Drools for our use case and would have a question for
storing rules files. We are in a relatively constrained environment, where
getting Guvnor up and running does not seems to be a valid option. Since we
would only need the core repository functionality so that we can separate
rule deployment from application deployments (and none of the advanced
features like online editing etc), I think it would make more sense to have
a light-weight alternative for storing the rule files.

Being able to pick up rules from an NFS share of from a database CLOB field
would be perfectly sufficient for us. I have worked with JBPM4 quite a lot,
where the core engine contained support for versioned storage of the
process definitions in the database itself [1].

Is there any similar feature in Drools, where the rules can be deployed to
e.g. a database or any other repository solution, (without using Guvnor)? I
haven't found too much details on this topic, but for me it seems that the
only approach would be to have some custom logic, which programmatically
checks for rule updates and re-creates the whole knowledgebase on any
update. I am wondering whether there is any more sophisticated solution in
Drools where at least update checking/rule reconfiguration could be
delegated to the engine.

Any inputs are appreciated.

Thanks,
Peter