[rules-users] After numerous of different approaches I am looking for some help

dBijkoo bijkerkrick at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 4 05:08:55 EDT 2014

I'm dealing with the problem and I am looking for some help. I thoroughly
studied the documentation and tried several different approaches myself but
can't seem to get it working the way i want it to work.

Let me start by describing the problem:
Observation has a duration which is a multiplication of 5 (minutes), besides
this it has one or more required disciplines (explained later).

ScheduleBlockPeriod is a period of 5 minutes which is connected to a
scheduleBlock

ScheduleBlock contains a list of disciplines which can be performed in this
block (there can be 1..* scheduleBlocks)

Explanation:
An observation has to be planned into one or more scheduleBlockPeriod(s)
since a observations duration can be bigger then a scheduleBlockPeriods
period. I checked out the VRP application and based my model on that.
The reason why scheduleBlockPeriod is chained has to do with the amount of
periods there are. I will write a custom move at some point which limits the
nextScheduleBlockperiod to only select a period which is from the same
ScheduleBlock and is right after the current one.
Below I added a classdiagram how i would want it to work:
<http://drools.46999.n3.nabble.com/file/n4029842/planning_class_diagram_2.png>

After I run a construction heuristic on the program implemented as described
in the classdiagram it tells me the solution is uninitialized, which is
obvious because it assigns 1 scheduleBlockPeriod to the Observation. Because
the duration of the observation is 5 minutes(the same as the duration of a
scheduleBlockPeriod).
This makes the chained variable nextScheduleBlockPeriod null, which it
should be since it is 1 scheduleBlockPeriod "long".

So basically im wondering if there is some sort of work around for this or
perhaps someone is able to tell me  that I am totally modelling it the wrong
way.