[rules-users] Are there second-rate fact types?

Mark Proctor mproctor at codehaus.org
Tue Jun 10 08:54:14 EDT 2014

The feature was more important when we didn’t allow casting,  but people still wanted to work with Maps and Lists.
Map( this[key].age < 30)

Collections where defaulted to typefalse(false)

Now that we support inline casts, it can be argued that things should always be type safe:
Map( this[key]#Person.age < 30 )

It’s hard to change this now, without breaking backwards compatability.

The docs don’t say that it’s defaulted to false for collections, only that it’s useful for Collections. Someone want to submit a pull request fix for this?

4.7.2.1.2. @typesafe( <boolean> )

By default all type declarations are compiled with type safety enabled; @typesafe( false ) provides a means to override this behaviour by permitting a fall-back, to type unsafe evaluation where all constraints are generated as MVEL constraints and executed dynamically. This can be important when dealing with collections that do not have any generics or mixed type collections.

4.7.5. Non Typesafe Classes

@typesafe( <boolean>) has been added to type declarations. By default all type declarations are compiled with type safety enabled; @typesafe( false ) provides a means to override this behaviour by permitting a fall-back, to type unsafe evaluation where all constraints are generated as MVEL constraints and executed dynamically. This can be important when dealing with collections that do not have any generics or mixed type collections.

Mark