[seam-dev] session invalidation problem

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 13:13:48 EDT 2008

I was doing some session size research today in my application and I
uncovered what appears to be a pretty nasty bug in Seam during the
post-session invalidation routine. If you call #{session.invalidate}
(which is also called by #{identity.logout} it leads to an *explosion*
of sessions. (~50)

To observe this behavior, install a servlet context listener that
watches for session creation. Then run one of these two action
listener methods. You can run Thread.dumpStack() in the listener to
see that it is happening as a result of attribute reads on the
ServerConversationContext. I guess because the session was
invalidated, Seam attempts to recreate the session over and over as it
works with the conversation within that request.

Software consultant | Author of Seam in Action

http://www.mojavelinux.com
http://manning.com/dallen

NOTE: While I make a strong effort to keep up with my email on a daily
basis, life and work come first and, at times, keep me away from my mail
for a while. If you contact me, then don't hear back for more than a week,
it is very likely that I am excessively backlogged or the message was
caught in the spam filters. Please don't hesitate to resend a message if
you feel that it did not reach my attention.