[seam-dev] Seam gen redesign

Pete Muir pete.muir at jboss.org
Tue Apr 22 11:34:56 EDT 2008

Max and I spent some time thinking about how to improve on the seam-
gen maintenance problem (2000 lines of ant is a bit nasty), and also
make it easier for JBoss Tools to consume the templates etc.

Feature Comparison
-------------------

Seam-gen                                      JBoss
Tools                      Notes
---------
------------                     -------

Ant controlled (seam-gen/build.xml) --------> Wizard
controlled                Totally different system, probably not much
duplication

dev/prod/staging profile -------------------> dev profile
only                 Hard to do profiles in eclipse plugins - and not
that important, seam-gen build system is only a starting point, and a
projects build requirements quickly outgrow it

ftl and other templates -------------------->
templates                        We need to make all templates ftl
based - as otherwise inconsistent, and especially hard for multiple
consumers when we change a template from one to the other

project dependency info --------------------> project dependency
info          Duplication!!! This is a big pain point atm

project structure --------------------------> different project
structure      Not really an issue

generated build.xml ------------------------> generated
build.xml              Max, does the build.xml generator in jboss
tools use the one from seam-gen, or build from scratch? Probably
should use the one from seam-gen

file copy ----------------------------------> file
copy                        In other words we overwrite rather than
merge descriptors

icefaces support ---------------------------> Not supported

Minor action items
-------------------

* Move all templates to .ftl
* Tidy up association handling

Major design changes proposed
------------------------------

* Move all templates and project dependency info into a JAR
   - This jar is then published (e.g. to maven), and used by both
seam-gen and JBoss Tools
   - The dependency info is specified using a maven POM, with
profiles used to "turn on" options like drools, jbpm etc.
   - Hibernate Tools uses a classpath like system to load templates
so this is easy
   - Extension points as necessary to allow e.g. icefaces to plugin
   - Perhaps include a sample build.xml.ftl which can be used for
both JBoss Tools and seam-gen
   - This remains part of the release cycle

* Migrate ant control to java control
   - Extension points as necessary to allow e.g. icefaces to plugin
   - This becomes a separate module that is released independently of
seam as needed

* Merge support for descriptors (both JBoss Tools and Seam-gen)

* Investigate whether we can utilise maven archetypes (to describe
meta data for projects) and consume in both JBoss Tools and seam-gen
(already offers dependency info, perhaps merge support, descriptor
location info)
   - N.B. seam-gen would be more than just a maven archetype, but use
it as a meta model for the generated project

--
Pete Muir
http://www.seamframework.org