[seam-dev] automatic loading of persistence units in JBoss AS 5

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 10:01:57 EST 2008

> AS 4.x did not have a lot of things. ;-)

Yep, and I am very glad to see them in JBoss AS 5.

>> We are not saying the default is bad, just that we would like to control
>> it for issues listed.
>
> That's how the default work.
> Argue with the spec, not me.

As far as I know, though I'm open to be proved wrong, according to the
spec the persistence units are only loaded when a reference is found
(either in the descriptor or in an annotation). That's pretty easy to
avoid if you aren't using Java EE components (such as Spring beans or
Seam JavaBeans). So we aren't really arguing with the spec. But then
again, I'm fine with the stuff automatically loading (spares us the
XML soup) but we do need to be able to disable it from within the
application (not by modifying JBoss AS). If you are saying that we can
put this XML file in the application, then that is exactly what I am
looking for. Why not jboss-web.xml or jboss-app.xml?

Software consultant | Author of Seam in Action

NOTE: While I make a strong effort to keep up with my email on a daily
basis, personal or other work matters can sometimes keep me away
from my email. If you contact me, but don't hear back for more than a week,
it is very likely that I am excessively backlogged or the message was
caught in the spam filters.  Please don't hesitate to resend a message if
you feel that it did not reach my attention.