[seam-dev] Seam 2.1.1.CR2

Gavin King gavin at hibernate.org
Thu Dec 4 14:41:47 EST 2008

Sorry, but tutorial D handles nulls even worse than SQL: i.e. it
doesn't have them, which means that in tutorial D, you have to
represent an unknown value by some totally ad hoc "special value" of a
non-null type. i.e. you have to define something like -666:=null in a
totally arbitrary and ad hoc manner. They seriously recommend this in
their books.

The completely broken treatment of null by those guys is one reason
why I simply take very little they say seriously. (The other reason is
that they don't seem to understand typing very well.)

Frankly, they bamboozle folks who don't know much math with some
absurdly overblown mathematical formalism that is totally unnecessary
for representing the mathematically trivial problems that occur in
databases. Since I actually have a background in higher math, I'm not
intimidated by that stuff and I can see straight through their silly
arguments. These guys are poseurs (if you read their resumes, they
don't actually have a mathematics background).